Sunday 3 August 2014

Marriage - a retrospective

I've been married for about 1 and a half years, and in that time I have felt myself evolving, being pushed, challenged, and getting forced out of my comfort zone.

There is a strange sort of synchronicity and intimacy that develops when two people live together. I have found this initially terrifying, and now oddly comforting. The S.O* has become someone I rely on with anything and everything. It is he whom I will go to with any sort of a problem and he is the first one I want to share good news with. There are about a million little things that happen throughout the day and I think: "I need to tell him." And he is the only one who can challenge me in his unique way - he sees the world very differently from me.

But let me be the first to admit, it has not been easy, in fact, the exact opposite. I would describe the first year of marriage as being in a pressure cooker. Granted, we had our unique circumstances (for e.g: I was working every weekend, which meant we had very little leisure time together), but I am sure other couples have also experienced the 'first year marriage blues' syndrome. I am very glad to say it seems we have made it through.

Now we have settled into a comfortable routine, I am not working every weekend so we have time to do fun things together. We both still swear by maintaining our individual personalities, but are also nurturing our joint life. As a friend once told me: "A young marriage needs time to be nurtured." Never were there truer words spoken.

I still say I never wanted to get married, but all in all, its been an experience I think I needed. I have grown, so has he. It's not easy, but it is worth it, because it is great living with your best friend... and one you can snuggle up to.

*S.O - Significant Other 

5 comments:

Az said...

I loved reading this, thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Ohhhh, Congratulations on your marriage...
I have strayed so far from Moodscapes and been sucked in shamefully to such an overwhelming attachment to FB. I did a Blog for peace post this week and was shocked when I realized I hadn't posted to my blog for a year. I wanted to spend a little time catching up and discovered you had joined the ranks of the wedded. I wish you much happiness and lots of sunshine.

Walker said...

Think of it as two people taking on life together instead of alone and overwhelmed.
It can be frustrating at times but most times a relief to share the burdens or joys you might experience.
Enjoy

Prixie said...

Azra: Thank you!

Jo: I've also neglected my blog, much to my shame. Thank you for the well wishes.

Walker: You make an excellent point!

owais said...

Thanks for this nice article. Keep it up. :)